Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The time has come again...

For months of training to boil down to one day. Sunday will be my third Ironman and this time is much different from my previous two attempts. There are many improvements that I have made in my fitness and my hope is that there were enough for me to realize my goals. I have become more accustomed to open water swimming and swimming with a large group of people. Living on a lake helped that a lot, I suspect. I have also determined that I can push much harder swimming than I believed I could. Somehow I can push hard enough to feel as though I will vomit and then get out of the water and only need a moment or two before I feel fine again. I have also seen a great improvement in technique thanks to the help of our FAFB master's swim team coach, Cherese McCoy. Her constant support and encouragement were always great motivators.

I can't say too much about the bike except that I have been on it longer and more frequently this year. I spent more time in the basement on the Computrainer this winter than I ever want to remember. I have also done more consistent long bricks and single long rides to build endurance... unfortunately I still struggle with speed and power. Riding on the Computrainer was my only way of knowing my power and most of the time I struggled to keep it over 160... I'm not kidding either. When I was able to get outside I did some hill work for the first time ever. Once a week I would do hill repeats on a course Michael picked and I did see improvement on my ability to maintain a speed that was difficult for me before. I have no illusions about the bike ride in Coeur d’Alene; I know it won't be as fast as I want, but no doubt a lot faster than my 7.5 hour rides in '04 and '05.

My biggest time save I predict will be the run. During my last attempts at Ironman I hadn't ever done a marathon and my times in general were something I can now laugh at. I have learned that it's easier to keep running than walk and then try to run again. I have learned that you don't want to try to eat an entire power gel at each mile of the run. I have learned that sponges under the hat and ice down the bra can really cool you off fast and Vaseline around the seams on a tank top really helps decrease overall pain. And, no matter what happens on the run, I should be able to PR :-)

This year is also important for me because Michael and I get to share the experience together. We have both worked very hard and made many sacrifices to get to do this. I love how accomplishing something with my husband brings us closer together and I'm sure Ironman will be no different. I am lucky to be a part of team Bergquist. As the days go on and the big one gets closer I will be visualizing the race over and over as well as going though "what if" situations in my head so I'm prepared for the unexpected.

So, as I wrap up my almost year synopsis, I reflect again on my past Ironman races and realize that all in all this truly is a fun day and enjoying it will also be on my list of goals. Here's to a wonderful race this weekend and in the future.

4 comments:

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Note to self: Get a bra. Ice down the bra can really cool me off.

You've come such a long way in such a short period of time. Helping you with your training just might be more rewarding for me than it is for you. I remember when you couldn't complete a mile run without walking. Now you have a couple Ironmans under your belt, several race wins and improve astounding amounts from year to year.

Seeing you through it all from that first mile to now makes me proud of you, happy for you and even a bit envious of the gains you make that I cannot. In all my years, I haven't seen someone improve as much as you have. Most of all, I'm proud of the person you are. To be so wonderful, despite doing so much in so many ways for others, me and yourself, leaves me feeling ambivalent. I'm strangely speechless and flooded with things to say. Of course, you see more of the latter here or it would be a boring blank post.

You've conquered cancer, long training that I've never been able to and two Ironmans that are both faster than mine. No matter how it turns out on Sunday, it will be fun to be doing it at the same time. Also, even if things go awry and you don't meet your goals, I know without a doubt that you're way faster than the Amanda that completed the last two. Go get 'em MyA.

M-Dot said...

Amanda;
What can we say. You have looked amazing to us! We did not know you 2 years ago and can't make the comparison but, you are kickn butt now and we can only see you being successful at what you do and what you want to accomplish!
You can do this! This is so great thyat you and Michael can do it together as a couple celebrating twenty years of marriage this wednessday we know what it means and can only say keep on keepn on it only gets better with time! You two are the most awesome couple and we enjoy reading your posts and bloggs. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you Jay and I will be in Aid transition and in the Medical tent. WE DON'T WANT TO SEE EITHER OF YOU!!!!!!!!! But, will be at the finish to cheer you on with cowbells that will make Will Ferrell Jeallous ;)

Michelle and Jay

Unknown said...

GO-GO-NOW-NOW-NOW!!!
Great race! I hope I can get my Ironman times back down that low (GET LOW-GET LOW). It was a great show on Sunday. I may just sign up for IMCdA if it isn't too late already...I have to wait until Monday, though...You really should update your blog to reflect your most recent IM, though...I might have to try the ice down the bra thing too... =)

Steve said...

Did you say you were running up stairs the day after Ironman. You are crazy:) Way to compete throughout the day and if you keep it up, Kona is not to far away. It was great cheering for you out there and glad you race went well. Keep up the hard work.